Durango’s slogan is “untamed and unforgettable,” and we couldn’t agree more!
There is so much this area has to offer, making it the perfect location for a wedding weekend in Colorado. Guests will love the lively town and scenic town. Couples will enjoy a plethora of activities to incorporate into the big weekend, both adventurous and luxurious. There are numerous venues to choose from, some of which include incredible 360-degree views of the Rockies high above the valley floor.
Wedding weekends in Durango can incorporate everything from the scenic Durango to Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway (one of the most scenic railways in the country) to days being pampered at hot springs or five-star spas.
If this sounds like a perfect wedding location for your big day, here is everything you need to know for the perfect wedding weekend in Durango!
Durango sits at 6,522 feet above sea level in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado. Even with its high elevation, the area remains moderate compared to other mountainous destinations all year round. The summer temperature averages a comfortable 84 degrees. Despite Colorado’s typical harsh winters in the winter, the average sits well above freezing at 42 degrees in Durango. Spring arrives late in the valley, while fall offers stunning backdrops of golden aspen dotting the landscape in every direction.
Wedding Venues in Durango
If you are searching for a wedding location that makes guests exclaim ‘WOW’ the moment they arrive, Purgatory Weddings is the perfect location. Available for everything from intimate micro weddings to celebrations with guest lists exceeding 200, the Purgatory is a ski mountain and resort in Durango that offers wedding packages all year round. There are numerous stunning and scenic wedding venue options located throughout the grounds. This includes:
2. The Black Diamond Lodge
If you’re a couple that would like to feel close to the perks of Durango but far enough away to have a private, scenic, and spacious wedding, Black Diamond Lodge is the perfect mix of mountain and luxury. A 45-minute from downtown Durango, the lodge offers everything you and your guests are looking for to celebrate an incredible wedding weekend. All-inclusive wedding packages include your wedding venue, catering, and lodging, making planning easy and stress-free for couples.
3. River Bend Ranch
A family-owned and operated ranch located a short 10-minute drive from downtown Durango, this space feels wild, untamed, and remote in all the right ways. It is a short five-minute drive to Durango Hot Springs and a 20-minute drive to world-class skiing. The property features a private pond, four potential ceremony sites, and enough space to host weddings of all sizes. With both modern and rustic touches, the property stays true to its ranch roots while offering luxurious amenities and touches for couples & their guests.
Where to Eat
1. Steamworks Brewery Company: Started in 1996, Steamworks Brewery Company is the perfect spot for a bite to eat or rehearsal dinner. Food includes regionally-raised meats, sustainable dishes, and vegetarian/gluten-free options.
2. Derailed Pour House: A local favorite, Derailed Pour House has a fantastic cocktail menu & numerous awards for food and service. It is located right in the heart of Durango, making it a perfect location for you and your wedding party to enjoy.
3. PRIMI Pasta & Wine Bar: Featuring a five-star menu and handmade pasta dishes, PRIMI is one of the finest dining experiences in Durango. It’s the perfect “treat yourself” meal on the most special weekend of your life.
1. Durango to Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway: The scenic railway that goes between Silverton and Durango, Colorado, is a National Historic Landmark. Winding through the San Juan Mountains through Cascade Canyon is a five-hour roundtrip excursion that is perfect for you and your spouse, your wedding party, or the entire family.
2. Purgatory Ski Resort: With 92 runs, 11 chairlifts, and substantially fewer people than many of Colorado’s other ski resorts, Purgatory Skiing is known for consistent snow, stunning views, and epic powder. The base of this resort sits at 8,793 feet and reaches a height of 10,800ft at the summit.
3. Durango Hot Springs: Durango Hot Springs Resort & Spa are commercialized hot springs offering a wide range of spa services. Relax and soak up every moment of your wedding weekend with massages, scalp massages, facials, and more. The absolute perfect way to kick off your big weekend!
4. Downtown Durango: The downtown area offers delectable cuisine, fantastic local shops, and numerous fine art galleries. During your wedding weekends, guests can enjoy strolling the streets, shopping, and exploring everything the local area has to offer.